The second game I played over the weekend was against an unbound army of Space Marines. He really likes Sternguard, and wanted to try them out in place of regular troops. I wanted to get the new Ork codex a try, and scraped together a list based on models that I already had in my inventory, albeit left over from 3rd edition.
Another mini-batrep from this past weekend (and apologies for the poor lighting!):
Orkz (1,000 pts):
- Warboss, Kombi Shoota/Skorcha, Attack Squig, Bosspole, Headwoppa’s Killchoppa
- 3x Mega Armoured Nobz, Trukk
- 30 Boyz, 3x Big Shoota, Boss Nob, bosspole, Powerklaw
- 30 Boyz, 3x Rokkit, Boss Nob, bosspole, Big Choppa
- 11 Stormboyz, Boss Nob, Bosspole, Big Choppa
- Deff Dread – 2x DCCW, Big Shoota, Rokkit
- Deff Dread – 2x DCCW, Big Shoota, Skorcha
Space Marines (1,000 pts)
- Sternguard (x6), 2x Combi-Melta, Sarge w/Plasma Pistol & Powerfist, Razorback w/ TL-Assault Cannon
- Sternguard (x6), flamer, Heavy Flamer, Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol & Powerfist, Razorback w/ TL-Heavy Flamer
- Sternguard (x6), Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol & Powerfist, Razorback w/ TL-Lascannon
- Predator Annihilator w/ TL-Lascannon & 2xLascannons
After that, my camera (phone) ran out of batteries, and that was it in terms of photo taking.
The game was remarkably close, with the Sternguard holding pace VP for VP, but ultimately the Orkz were able to control more of the Board at the end of the game.
The one mob of 30 was whittled down through 2-3 assaults, and took the better part of 12 wounds from a single Whirlwind shell after ripping apart the Lascannon razorback. The Warboss tried to make 12 look out-sirs, but failed 2, and was killed in the blast. The Nob had previously bit it to Hellfire rounds. The unit was routed, and sent packing.
Regardless, there was still another mob of 30 in Reserve, and a Dreadnought with 1 hullpoint left. We kind of played out the remaining turns in terms of tactical objectives, and it would have been a very narrow Ork Victory.
The Sternguard were surprisingly strong with respect to the fight they put up in assault. 18 Marines vs. ~60 orkz should have been a non-contest, but 2 Attacks each made the Orkz’ life difficult, and they couldn’t seem to win an assault. Hellfire rounds are also extremely painful…
The much reviled mob rule did play a bit of a part, the Stormboy Nob having to bash some heads to keep them in the fight, but miraculously one of them made the save.
Also, with both characters gone from White Pants near the end of the game, in previous editions where they would have simply had to roll equal to or lower than 9 in order to “Check Size” they rolled a 5. Lacking a character, they retreated. I would have gladly accepted some bashing of heads in order to keep them from running away, but that would have taken a Mob Rule dice roll of 2-3.
A big gold star next to the ‘Ere We Go special rule, that one is FANTASTIC. The Meganobz also took a beating and kept on FIGHTAN. Wouldn’t mind trying out some more HQ’s, one of which would be a Weirdboy.
First battle done! You will likely be reading a lot more of the Orkz as I continue to learn more about their 7th edition book!