Productivity Update #17 – Blood Angels & Such

Been a long time since I pulled out one of these ‘official’ productivity updates, so I’ve got some ground to cover…

To be honest, with work heating up, my vacation, and all kinds of other IRL issues I haven’t really had too much time to paint.  So here’s a brief summary of what I’ve been up to:

And here we are!  I might give the brass a quick Nuln Oiling if it stays too sharp but I'm liking it quite a lot.  The red panels are for squad identification, but I haven't gotten that far along yet so it'll stay blank until I decide what to do there.
You’ll remember this guy from a previous post.  This is probably one of the last things I’ve actually finished working on in a while.  I haven’t been very diligent in seeing things through to completion these days, leaving squads half-finished…
But hey!  I did finish something!  Those terminators I started working on ages ago?  THEY'RE DONE! (less the decals.  I have micro-set and micro-sol arriving via amazon sometime in September, apparently.)
But hey! I did finish something! Those terminators I started working on ages ago? THEY’RE DONE! (less the decals. I have micro-set and micro-sol arriving via amazon sometime in September, apparently.)
This Razorback has been a work in progress for a while.  As you can see I really need to attack the black sections with a little more gusto.  I'm trying to break up the vast sea of red without making too obvious that's what I'm trying to do.
This Razorback has been a work in progress for a while. As you can see I really need to attack the black sections with a little more gusto. I’m trying to break up the vast sea of red without making too obvious that’s what I’m trying to do.
The dude on the storm bolter was completed using drybrushing methods, and to be honest I don't mind it so much.  If you look back to the terminators you'll notice there's a bit of colour variation, but it's pretty subtle, if you get them side by side.  I'm pleased overall with the result, and may use these methods on other marines...
The dude on the storm bolter was completed using drybrushing methods, and to be honest I don’t mind it so much. If you look back to the terminators you’ll notice there’s a bit of colour variation, but it’s pretty subtle, if you get them side by side. I’m pleased overall with the result, and may use these methods on other marines…
And here's the first element of the Warlockian detachment to roll off the assembly line.  I still have to highlight the tans, and obviously hit the guns, details, and metal bits, but it's a solid WIP.
And here’s the first element of the Warlockian detachment to roll off the assembly line. I still have to highlight the tans, and obviously hit the guns, details, and metal bits, but it’s a solid WIP.

As if having two solid active WIP’s isn’t enough, check out what’s on my desk RIGHT NOW:

The hobby ADD has now fully set in.
The hobby ADD has now fully set in.

Anyways.  That’s about it for now.  In previous posts I’ve kind of mused about expanding my Blood Angels even more, and it looks like I might have found someone that’s willing to off-load their own supply of models… It remains to be seen if my wallet will be able to escape alive…

Hit me up in the comments below — always willing to get feedback.  I know I’ve heard from several of you over twitter, but that’s no excuse.  heh.

Cheers, happy Thursday.

 

 

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Productivity Update #17 – Blood Angels & Such”

  1. One thing about dry brushing is that it will catch any mouldlines you missed. So make sure you check the mouldlines when assembling so it doesn’t bite Greggles in the face when he’s almost done with an army and then there is a mouldline staring deep into his soul.

    1. I think I’m just having more trouble with a monochrome colour scheme… Just this… SEA of one colour…

      What makes red that much more difficult to paint from your perspective…?

      1. It’s easy to make it too pink or too orange or muddy. Then there is getting a nice photo of it – Blah. Cameras struggle with reds too.

  2. Firstly: Those terminators look awesome. So does the Rhino! Really has a nice depth to it.

    Second: Ideas for breaking up the read. 1) Mudding the tracks/bottom areas, and battle damage. Notice the Blue in this picture contrasting the mud butt http://a.modellversium.de/galerie/bilder/0/8/7/4087-3080920.jpg I know you don’t generally do this to your vehicles, but just a thought. Idea 2) Vallejo pigments. I just picked up one bottle for myself which I can’t wait to try out. If you want I can grab you a bottle while I’m still here in ottawa! They’ve got old and new rust, iron oxide, soot and the like. Let me know!

    1. Vallejo and mig and all the other companies are nice, but you can’t beat earthpigments.com for sheer volume and bang for your buck. I dropped $100 like 5 years ago and I swear i will NEVER need pigments again. EVER.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s